Les poissons en France

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Signing

I felt rather daunted about having the responsibility for signing for the house but knew I didn't have any option. The events of Thursday were totally bizarre. I took the phone call from the nursing home to say that John's Mum was dieing and as John was in Gourdon I rang him to suggest that he try to arrange to sign by proxy. Next phone call was from the German owners to say they were arriving at 2pm to start sorting out the house and loading their furniture. Did we really need this!! They eventually took the last things from the house on SUNDAY afternoon.



Friday 13th arrives ( we are assured that this is a lucky day in France) beautiful weather but of course I couldn't settle with everything on my mind. I went to get changed ( thought this was a formal meeting and had to look the part) soon there was a call through the open window Su Su, peer out in some disarray, it's Jean Jacque asking me to meet the other neighbour who doesn't live here and had just called by. I explained that I didn't have much time but went round as it seemed churlish. Result very tight for time to get to Notaire, but some of you will say that this is the norm for me. Prayed I would not have a problem parking, ran down the road and got in the door as the clock struck 3. Make pleasantries with Doris (owner) and Anna the Estate agent, alhough first gaff was to ask the Estate Agent if she was BUYING lots of houses, well any one can get their "acheters and vendres" confused. To my rescue comes Monsieur Sir Galahad in the shape of the dishey Notaire (John thinks his wife is lovely) and ushers us into the front office which looks like an English one from the 1920 s . All four of us then start to go through the contract clause by clause. Copious maps are produced to show me exactly which bits of land we are buying (I lose count of all these little bits and we have to do it all over again). We some how managed to end up talking about "Mains Sewerage" a new word for the French and German ladies and they were fascinated and kept repeating it. We stopped every now and then while a cheque was written out for somebody who had to get paid at that stage in the proceedings. The "others" thought it was highly amusing as they reckoned I understood all the bits that referred to money and not the rest. Well I certainly didn't the Termite report, apparently there are no termites but are Capricorns! Nobody seems to know the English for Capricorns but just shrug their shoulders and indicate a bit of treatment and there isn't a problem, guess they are wood worm, any definitive advice would be welcome.

Eventaually 2 hours later we become the proud owners of a pile of French stone and a few bits of scrubby land (Le Grand Bois was not this leafy haven of oak trees full of nesting birds as we had imagined but a bit of scrub on top of a hill). You may think this was the end - oh no. Doris and I have to rush round to the insurance office to confirm that we have our own insurance and that her's can be relinquished - all part of the legal bit. All done and Doris suggests we join Anna for a glass of champagne. Lovely but more small talk which I managed this time without too many obvious gaffs.After the drink I ran Doris home , fought off another drink from her friends and arrived home at 6.30ish. Mum frantic as I had told her I would be about an hour. As I draw up neighbours shout come and have a drink which we duely did. Mum and I had a celebratory meal of egg, chips and beans at about 9 o'clock. Not your traditional French meal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home