Les poissons en France

Monday, March 05, 2007

In Tune with Nature











We are like the wildlife rushing around to keep ahead of the advancing spring. We have a hundred and one jobs to do and just dont know what to do first. The last couple of days have been dry so John planned to cut the back field so that we can start marking out the vegetable plot. We have been trying to do this for the past fortnight. However yesterday we discovered that cowslips were growing in the middle of the path, so before he cut the grass I was busy rescuing the cowslips and wild orchids which I also found.

Doesnt sound a big job but by the time I had dug them all up and planted them in the wild flower meadow it was time for the five o'clock glass of wine. I have to repeat the process again tomorrow in the front garden.
JOHN.
Meanwhile, whilst we were waiting for the early morning dampness to dry from the grass, I was in the ruin, sawing up the 3 Ash trees which I had felled the other day. The job wasn't too bad with our chainsaw and I was producing good wood for the fire (once it has seasoned). However, the lower trunks of the trees were quite substantial and so I thought I ought to split them. We have already bought a sledge hammer and a splitter, which I used on some old logs left in the Caves. So, thinking that I am still only 25, I commenced swinging. I gradually began to think of those Cowboy films where the hero is found outside of the wooden cabin, barechested, swinging his chopper, ( perhaps I don't mean that!) Those scenes of lumber splitting are all a load of staged nonsense! Freshly sawn wood doesn't just fall apart with one blow, at least not my logs.
No worries about not getting enough excercise this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home