Les poissons en France

Monday, September 29, 2008

How Sad!

Here we are, retired, and we find ourselves setting the alarm so that we can be off early to get to the shops as they open!!!! Actually the reason for doing this is so that we can get back and get cracking on our jobs. However I didn't continue with the wall, but I got on the digger to drag the earth back from the lower courtyard wall. Whilst it's dry, we felt that I should check that the base of the wall would give us the level we want in this part of the courtyard.



We were worried that we would have a problem with 'bedrock' coming to the surface but we were relieved to find that we were able to get the ground down to below the level we need.


Sue gave me some help, but whilst I didn't need her, she started to drag the huge stones next to the wall between us and JJ and Nadine to create a base for raising the ground level.




Whilst there's a lot more work to be done, it's encouraging to see the bones of a scheme taking shape.
ps a wild life note. Sue has disturbed a hare in the veg patch the last 2 days. She says that he seems to be digging in the rhubarb and the irises that are down there; he hasn't found the lettuces yet. Yesterday I was breaking up a very large stone with my sledge hammer and, on lifting up a large piece of it, I found an enormous toad. I don't know how he didn't get squashed! Finally, we still see 2 owls from time to time, but no chicks this year;perhaps, because of the wet spring?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home