Les poissons en France

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Opening the Garden In 2016

As you will probably know opening your garden in aid of charity is a very British thing. There is an enormous scheme operating in England under the auspices of "The Yellow Book". I have always enjoyed visiting other peoples gardens and inevitably scrutinising them but I have never had the courage to consider opening mine. I feared I could not cope with the pressure of weeding and tidying as the appointed day arrived.

This year we found out that a few gardens were being opened here in France within traveling distance, so we went to see. They didn't seem as wonderful and pristine as those I had seen in the UK so I investigated further. The scheme was started in 2013 by some Brits and was loosely based on that operating in the UK.  They supported a French charity "A chacun son Everest", (roughly translated "to each his own Everest"). It was founded by a doctor who was the first French woman to climb Everest. It arranges activities for children with, or in remission from, cancer or leukemia. The first year they opened four gardens and raised 300 euros, in 2014 it was 28 gardens raising 3000 euros and this year it was 75 gardens raising over 11000 euros.

So I applied and have been accepted. I might say that the criteria is that you should have about half an hours interest in your garden, not that there should be tidy edges and no weeds! I know it's showing off but I am proud of the garden and people who pass by always make very favourable comments. In addition I thought that we might open the garden and encourage others to do so during the village fete weekend at the end of August. I would not propose charging entry for this as it would be a totally village affair. We have the support of the Mayor and now have to concoct a piece for him to put in his New Year bulletin.

So we will see how things develop but so far I have gained some new like-minded friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home