Les poissons en France

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Indian Summer

We have had about 10 days of glorious weather with afternoon temperatures in the high twenties. The mornings have been very damp but pleasant. John has spent days cutting one of the "prairie" beds, he has still got the other one to do. Who said wild flower meadows are easy to maintain?

I have at last made some useable garden compost and have been spreading it on the long bed before planting many new plants donated by a friend and clearing the bed of old overgrown ones of my own. All this has involved humping endless barrows up and down the hill with a cosequent gentle reminder that the 70 years does slow you down a bit.

The effort took its toll this morning and I didn't wake up until 8.30 having fallen asleep by 10 the night before.  However as I staggered out I was inspired by the view of Autumn from our windows and took these photos.

As I continued my labours later in the morning John snapped his own take on this lovely time of year
 
.... and he was also inspired to write this poem. I stumbled across it accidently on the computer, he would never tell me that he had writen it. Misplaced modesty in my opinion!!
                                                                      
 in the morning still
 a murmuring
a rustling
and drops of gold
 fall in the sunlight
with such gentleness
in slow motion
building up
a rusty mosaic
on the receiving green


ps meanwhile, the hacking, chopping and lifting continues apace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home