Les poissons en France

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Lost in Translation !

 This morning we had a visit from the Assistant Mayor to give us our Christmas box of goodies because we are over 75 years old ... foie gras, terrine, pate, chutney and Walnut gateau.

I answered the door and received a box, but then Madame Adjointe asked if I knew, what sounded to me as, Mme Vallère.   No I replied.  It was only later that I began to realise that, underneath the French accent, she was saying Mme Waller ... Sue!  Here in France ladies retain their maiden name for all official business, normally saying Mme Waller, wife of M Herring.  This afternoon Mme Adjointe returned, having checked the records to see where Sue lived.  She and Sue had a good laugh when Sue said that I had forgotten my wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home