Les poissons en France

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Wild life

I got back to our new home from sorting out my Mum's affairs late Wednesday afternoon. It is a lot of driving; 4 hours to Dover and then nearly 10 hours from Boulogne to home. So today I was finally able to start some clearing out now that we can see what the Germans have left us. And what they have left is basically rubbish. So, with JJ's trailer we did our first trip to the local council recycling centre. It is all well organised, the attendant even helped me lift an old washing machine into the skip. But the most important feature was a mound of free compost which they bring from wherever they compost the green recycling! Sue wants to ask if she can have a lorry load.



I was given a tour of the back garden by the garden designer. As you can see she was very happy doing this! She also showed where some animal is rooting and then leaving it's visiting card. I don't think it is Deer, as I think they would be eating the grass and not digging up the earth. I feel that it could be wild boar that we are told are in the hills and which the hunters go after. If anyone can recognise boar poo please let us know.


















Sue was also then telling me that Nadine says that the long multi-coloured snakes are not poisonous, it's only the smaller black ones you have to look out for, especially when they come to warm up on your concrete patio!!!


She then told me that I had missed the visit from the woodpecker who has been eating the shutters for years. She went into our back room which has never been improved and he had his head through the hole in the shutter.



As if this wasn't enough, we had a roosting bat in that room as we were clearing it out. He wasn't disturbed by the light or by us working in the room. We left the window open and he had obligingly gone once it was dark. Somewhat unfriendly, we promptly barrackaded the window to encourage him to go elsewhere. We'd had enough wildlife for one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home