Les poissons en France

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Keep the Camp Fire Burning

We have got to know a couple who live about a mile away in the hinterland. They have gutted their house and are " surviving" in their barn. Its very primitive like living in a shed ( dont want to make too much of this as we could be in the same boat/shed sometime but hopefully it wont be at the end of November). Anyway I felt sorry for them and invited them round for a meal and a"warm". In fact it wasn't the slightest bit cold last night but in their honour we got the house really toastie. The open fire was timed to be roaring away as they arrived and I had made a special effort with the meal (as you do when people are coming ). The lights of their car were seen coming up the road and then Disaster Sruck! We had a power cut. Oh dont worry it wont be long have a drink, and another. It then became obvious that this could go on for an indefinite time. Talk about thinking on your feet. We had some "instruments" hanging on the recess of the fire which John wanted to throw away in our initial clear out. I rescued them from him saying "you never know if we get one of these fabled French power cuts we might be glad of them". Well they came into their own and we had homemade soup, Pork chops with a cheese and mustard topping, ratatouille and potato wedges (the cauliflower with walnut topping never made it nor did the white chocolate bread pudding). Cheese was nice! The electricity came on three hours later in time for the coffee. I would have panicked a lot more than I did if this had happened in England, this laid back society must be good for me but I hope this doesn't happen when you all come to see us. I dont think I am that relaxed!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home