Les poissons en France

Monday, October 15, 2007

Day Off

Yesterday being Sunday, we took things easily, as Betty wanted to take us out for a meal. So we did the english thing and went for Sunday lunch. We went to a restaurant 10 minutes up the road run by a Dutch couple. We all had a pleasant meal but we must have seemed like 'food critics' to Betty when Sue and I kept making comments about the decor, the furniture and the presentation of the food. The actual food itself was cooked very well but each plate was let down by the presentation on the plate. The starter had some salad on the plate and it was 'english'; lettuce leaves, sliced cucumber and segments of tomato. My main course of venison was excellently cooked but again lacked any imagination in the look of the dish. The restaurant itself looked tired. My impression is that the dutch couple have run the restaurant for some years - successfully - and have become complacent. During the course of our meal we had at least 3 plates with chips in them. The chairs we sat on had been left outside during the winter months and so looked tatty; ready for the bonfire in my opinion. And finally, of the 6 tables occupied, 3 were English! So, whilst as I say, it was pleasant, it won't be going on our 'recommended' list.

Having done my Giles Corren bit (he's a food critic in the Times) we returned home, had coffee and sampled my Plum liqueur which I made from the plums on the tree infront of the house. The girls gave it the thumbs up.



I then took the opportunity to carry on with making the door to the Porcherie. I had a hiccup when I confusedly put beading on for the window, but on the wrong side of it, but that is now rectified, and we're ready to stain it. Just got to buy a lock now!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home