Les poissons en France

Sunday, June 29, 2008

She's Happy at Last!

Sue has such simple pleasures. Today she's as happy as a sand boy because, at last, she can see rooms beginning to look like rooms.

This morning I did another mix of mortaring. The secret is to get the right mix. If it's wet enough, you can 'throw' it into the joints (the authentic method!) I can do this a bit, and I'm hoping that I'll get better with practice.


Then, this afternoon, the first of the tiles went down. Sue was so excited(why? she can't walk on them yet.)
















Whilst all of this heart-warming activity was going on, Sue continues to plod on with the painting, although she's now returned to the bedroom.

Deer Deer!!


I have been so excited in the last couple of days because I have witnessed deer in the garden on three separate occasions. The first time was about five in the evening when I inadvertantly disturbed a hind and her fawn who had been sheltering under a tree to avoid the heat. Yesterday evening I was watering in the back garden and suddenly heard thundering hooves. I was convinced I was about to be attacked by a wild boar - or even a whole herd, the noise was so great.(John always says I have a fertile imagination). I quickly thought to myself "not to worry I will be able to blast it with my hose"!! However not a boar but a hind pursued by a stag galloped from the top of our field diagonally across to the vegetable patch and then out through the bottom hedge. I heard him barking later in the evening so I assume that it is the rutting season. Tonight I went down to water and trotting along by the dry river bed was a hind and her twins. I watched them for a few minutes before they too disappeared through the hedge.
A pair of bats appear every night at about ten, however last night one decided to feed in our porch. As we have the glass screen there I had a wonderful view. We continue to see one owl , and sometimes two emerge from the piggonier every night just as it gets dark. We have no idea if they have a brood this year.
The vegetables are coming in thick and fast as last year. I have staggered my planting but the beans in particular seem to catch each other up. The first picking was a delight but you can have too much of a good thing. Any new recipe ideas for "haricot vert" would be appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home