Les poissons en France

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Coming up Roses

Well at least I hope they will!! Not wanting to change the habits of a life time, all of a sudden we have gone OTT on roses. As you know we have the roses on order for the pergola and for the planned rose beds. However, when we were in the supermarket the other day, they had roses for 1.50 euros each and I just couldn't resist buying 3 yellow ones for the long bed. My Mum always used to go on about how good the cheap plants were from Woolworths. So we're hoping these ones from Carrefour will be as good.

The next day I was clearing the melon bed behind the ruin and reflecting how poorly they had performed this year, not surprisingly in view of the drought. My thoughts then returned to the bargain roses in Carrefour. Well you can guess the rest; we cleared the store of pink and white roses!!

I was confident that I would be able to dig the holes to plant them as the melons had been grown on almost pure compost. Not so. John was wielding a pick axe all afternoon in temperatures of 30+.






For weeks John has been trying to buy a "thing"(Rehausse) to raise the height of the inspection cover on the grease trap so that we can complete the area of the courtyard outside the back door. For some reason we have an extra large inspection cover and they do not seem to make the corresponding "thing" to raise the height.



Never mind, John has done a "mod" (as my Dad would say) involving cementing some slabs acquired from the scrap heap at the rear of the tile shop to sit the ''thing'' on . I haven't enquired further but he is confident that we will not fall in and "come up not smelling of roses".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home