Les poissons en France

Thursday, January 13, 2011

One Step Forward...?

Whilst I don't want this blog to become a continuing litany of my ailments, at the moment my health has rather overtaken both of our lives!

Yesterday I had an appointment with the Haemotologist who is controling my chemotherapy. She speaks good english and so we were able to be sure that we understand what's happening. I'm now halfway through the treatment and she was able to show us that the production of the protein which is going to the heart has drastically reduced. The results so far of my chemotherapy are very encouraging and indicate that, at worst, my heart function will be stable (as it is now), or, at best, my body will be able to purge the heart of the proteins to give me a normal heart function. Having said that, one can not talk of a cure, only of remission, as there's never a guarantee that the condition won't come back.

That was yesterday's good news. Just towards the end of the consultation with the haemotologist she listened to my lungs and chest and declared that I have an irregular heart beat! So, I had to have an ECG, and then take the printout back to the Doctor who's administering my chemotherapy. He looked at it and then faxed it to the Heart department. 3 hours later I was given an appointment in the Cardiology department for next Monday. I'm going to have to stay in overnight so that they can do 'something' ( not sure what!) In the meantime the local nurse is coming to the house morning and evening to inject me with an anticoagulant (rat poison?). Whilst this was all very unexpected, it shows how quickly the system reacts to any problems that arise.

We never know what will happen tomorrow, and perhaps it's just as well.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 am, Anonymous Dreamer said...

Most likely Warfarin, commonly know as 'rat poison'.

I have been following your blog for some time now and wish you both all the very best for 2011.

We have a home in France for many years and can relate to your simple love of France.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home