Les poissons en France

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Keeping Busy

We're still trying to keep ahead of our builder, although it now looks like he's coming next Wednesday!


Yesterday was a bad day at the office. I had bought some panes of glass from our local hardware supermarket (Bricomarche) so yesterday morning I set about fitting them. The second pane was fractionally small and I was trying to raise it up on a couple of matchsticks ( you see I'm being very professional) but it didn't work. As I positioned the beading, ...crack! But to add insult to injury, the last pane broke as well just as I was nailing the last piece of beading!!!! I was seriously unhappy. So this morning I went to a 'proper' glass shop to order the glass again, as well as some large panes that were too big for Bricomarche to do for me. They recommended thicker glass than Brico, plus even thicker glass for the really large panes. Won't be ready till next week, so the second attempt is delayed.

Having returned from my shoppimg trip, I started removing the rendering (crepie) from the wall over what will become the 'picture' window for the kitchen. I felt that it would be wise to make all the dust etc. before the windows are fitted.




























Whilst I was doing this, Betty helped as usual.




The crepie was very sandy and came off really easily, so, as Sue's cousin David and June are coming out next week to help again, I thought that I ought to carry on taking the crepie off of the back wall which David had spent a long time working on in July. I feel bad that I haven't found the time to do any more work on the wall since he was here last!


Whilst I was doing all of this, Sue was putting yet more coats of paint on the Porcherie door. It's got to be the right colour!










Then she disappeared into the 'Cave' to take off some crepie from the interior walls before the builders start to dig out the floor.




Whilst all of this activity was taking place, Sue suddenly told me that there was no water coming out of the tap! She went next door to check if JJ and Nadine had water but Nadine was out picking walnuts. JJ came and tried to help, and, as it's only a week or so since we had the water meter moved, we decided that there must be some 'muck' in the pipes. Fortunately, just before I set to and started taking our plumbing to bits, Nadine arrived and queried if they had water in their house. Lo and behold they also had no water! Saved in the nick of time. It transpired that there was work being carried out on the water supply, but somebody failed to inform us. So thankfully we were able to have showers to clean ourselves up.


More important than all of this trivial messing about, we've had frosts the last two mornings. When I greeted JJ today, he told me that he had seen two formations of birds (Storks?) flying south when he had got up. We both agreed that winter has come if the birds are heading for warmer climes. Then, about 4 pm we all heard birds calling. We searched the sky and finally saw them, very high, forming up and then going south. It's always lovely to see nature in action.
Finally, Sue went down to the veg patch in the late afternoon and came back to tell us that the frosts have finished our crops.

On the way back from the Potager, I had to pass JJ and Michel who are building a wall for JJ. This is the second weekend they have been doing it, and they'll need at least another one. I've been taking notes on how it's done!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home