Les poissons en France

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Country life in The Lot

As you know I am always waxing lyrical about the local wildlife. This week I have seen deer in the alley, a red squirrel collecting nuts and we have lots of little birds back again, and I saw the owl a few nights ago. However today I do not feel so aimably disposed towards our "furry neighbours".

To begin at the beginning; I am moving compost from the far side of the back field to my "serpentine" bed in the front garden. The compost is two year old grass clippings from the wildflower meadow, hence its location. I was very concerned that there was no soil in parts of the bed particularly where the builder had been most active. I am delighted to say that now it has rained I have found some soil and am able to get a fork in 4cm, that's good soil round here!! Anyway today on my trek down the field I discovered that the boar had had a very busy night digging in the wildflower meadow and churning the compost heap.




I have seen a hare sheltering in the veg patch and ooh ahed until I discovered that he has decimmated the few remaining vegetables.




Whilst pondering the necessity of protecting the garden from this onslaught and possible solutions, my prays were answered and up popped "The Chasse". The hunters are men in flourescent orange waistcoats and caps who run around in little white vans.( No riding on horseback in red jackets here, although I would say that the orange apparell is to prevent them shooting each other. A good year last year only 12 got killed as opposed to 25 the year before). They are accompanied by hoards of baying hounds. As the dogs were heading my way and I had heard shots, I thought I had better retreat to safety and watch the action which I hoped would result in the elimination of my errant boar. No such luck! Lots of frantic activity that soon fissled out with nothing being caught. As far as we can see this is the norm and then they adjourn to the bar.

Whilst doing a tour of the damage I noticed that the daffodils are 6 inches high and next years pyramid orchids are well on their way. Don't they know we haven't had winter yet?










Meanwhile my resident builder threw up some wall covering, fitted a new light and mortared half a wall, and that was all before lunch!





PS I have just read this, and I hope you all see that I am wearing my 'Staff' tee-shirt!! I know my place in this household.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home