Les poissons en France

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Passion and Patience

Although I think that should read "and Stupidity". I think gardening to me is like taking drugs (not that I have ever done so, well only those prescribed to keep the body going so that I can carry on gardening). I get such "highs" when things grow, particularly those that I don't expect to. This year I have managed to get a supermarket sweet potato to grow, and I have taken off the "slips" which are now growing roots in water. The slips look like runner bean plants. Of course we are far from eating the tubers but the high was getting them to sprout at all. My Guru, Bob Flowerdew, also suggested that you can similarly plant a piece of ginger, and guess what.... we have lift off on that too.

Our patience has also been rewarded as, after three years of waiting, we are about to cut our first asparagus. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.



I have been anxiously checking round the garden to see what has survived the particularly bad winter and the drought last summer. Most things have amazed me and are popping up, although a little late. It would seem that I must accept that we will not have "winter structure" because of the deer and the low temperatures. However, as I look out at the lush growth, that doesn't worry me.

Now we come to the "stupidity". I have been weeding the aptly named "long bed" for days and am just over half way. It is totally covered in a rather pretty mauve nettle. I am having to hand weed it as my neck doesn't like to much hoeing. I will be delighted if I can cover every square inch in the summer with flowers but some how gardening doesn't work out like that. I guess that's the low that makes you take more of the drug!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home