Les poissons en France

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Welcome to the Health Farm

The Gardener has been whittling on about how all of the beds, particularly the newer beds, need a dressing of compost before she starts planting.  So, we have been collecting bags of cheap compost from the local Garden Supplies centre.  As this morning had been messed up with me going to the recycling centre to get rid of the rubbish, and then collecting our mail from the post van in the village square ( the Postal strike is still on !), I suggested to Sue that we could start 'spreading the compost'.

We started with a pile of 15 bags of compost which I'd stacked on the car hard standing.  This went on the 'bank' we've been making for the past 2 years.
The Gardener was happy with a reasonably thick layer ...
...but there's still a long way to go, perhaps another 30 bags worth!

So then we turned our attention to the 'raised' bed in the back garden.  We had built up a stock of about 30 bags of compost in a pile half way down the Alley.
We reached a convenient point to stop, just as it started to rain.  So, about 20 bags used and about 25 more needed.  Some of you will know that, as part of my health regime, I'm supposed to exercise daily, and to this end I bought an exercise bike.  However, as on days like today, I don't always need it.  Today I moved and spread 1400 litres of compost and we need about 2200 litres more.  And that's without the 'Christo' bed and then the 'dry river bed'!!!!

As we were packing away at the end of a constructive day, and the rain was starting to fall, I heard the distinctive honking of geese .. or in this case, Cranes.
Hearing and seeing them is such an uplifting feeling.  Sue rushed off to tell our neighbours and Nadine came out to watch, crying "ah, it's spring!"  And I really think it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home