Les poissons en France

Monday, December 04, 2006

Discoveries


We have been taking advantage of the good weather over the weekend to be working outside. Sue carried on clearing brambles in the boundary hedge of the front garden, burning them and other rubbish behind the barn, and then, just to make sure she wasn't wasting her time, she was cutting the ivy off the rear wall of the barn.



Whilst Sue was busy on the land, I was still in the 'cave' moving earth, wood dust, ect, to find what is on the floor.

I had thought that the 'square' on the floor in the corner was your ordinary concrete floor, but of course, with a house of this age that was a silly idea. The flooring seems to be assorted flagstones. Certainly, they are too heavy for me to try to move. No doubt we will be able to use them as a feature somewhere, inside or out.

The soil, if I can call it that, I was taking outside to fill in some slight dips in the front lawn; these dips were the divisions between uncultivated land and vegetable plot according to one of our neighbours, Bernard. I was keen to get as much of the 'ditch' filled in as possible as the weather forecast for all of next week is rain. No doubt, the soil will settle down and I know that the rain will help with this. It will need to be firm for when I start driving over it with the ride-on mower in the spring. Having tamped the soil down I was dismayed to see Cleo realising that I had prepared a fantastic outside cat litter tray.

Searching for more soil, I cleaned out the small 'room' in the bottom of the pigeonnier and found a lovely floor of 'cobbles' set into the ground. We think that this space had been used as a chicken coup at least twenty years ago. The space is really too small to be usefull although Sue suggested that we could put some lighting in there and use it to display sculptures or bonsai. Time will reveal all!



1 Comments:

At 2:15 pm, Blogger Richard and Ann Drake said...

Hi John and Sue
Heather and Bernard have given me your Blogspot through your last letter to them. Also they told about your mum Sue,she was a lovely lady I am sure you will miss her.
We wish you both a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. We hope you enjoy your christmas lunch in the open air instead of foggy, damp old England.
All the best to you.
Ann and Richard Drake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home