Les poissons en France

Saturday, May 01, 2010

The Walls Came Tumblin' Down

I'm happy to say that the walls didn't come tumblin' down....well only a little bit. Once I'd replaced the stones above the new lintel on the inside of the barn, it was time to remove the two outside beams. But there were some serious stones sat on top of the beams and I had to remove them before I could attempt to lift off the wood. So, of course, because they were fairly large stones, smaller ones above them fell out once they had nothing to support them! However, as you can see, the damage wasn't too bad and, by the end of Friday afternoon I'd put the two 'outside' longer beams into position.




Overnight we had a lot of rain, and I was fearfull that more stones would have fallen out, but, to my relief the wall wasn't even wet. So, today was building up instead of knocking down! I'd cemented in the stones above the beams by about 4pm and then had to let our neighbour JJ come to inspect. I think he'd been worried that the barn wall was going to fall down, but he was very impressed with the finished result.




Once the cement has dried out, and once I've recharged my batteries, I can start removing the righthand wall beneath the beams to make the new wider entrance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home