Les poissons en France

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Planting Continues

We are still battling on with the planting but some how it seems to be plant one buy two. The supermarkets have such bargains at present that I can't resist them. I planted the white bed yesterday with perennials and shrubs but there are lots more white plants in the production unit to be planted out when they are ready.

We began planting the Christo bed today and I intend to sow lots of annual seeds in it tomorrow. We continued planting and splitting plants in the long and the raised beds. The idea is to cram the plants close together so that the weeds are crowded out, which is fine but difficult when it comes to planting.

However I have another cunning plan. I have had my eye on some old rolls of hay which have been abandoned in the field next door for a number of years. I managed to accost the farmer the other day to ask if I could have them. I explained that I could use them as a mulch in the garden if he had no use for them. He gave me a funny look, obviously deciding that I was just that funny English woman. Unfortunately the grass is growing very rapidly in the field and it is time for the snakes to wake up so I sent John into the field to gather the mulch. We were both surprised that the hay had not decomposed as much as we expected, but hey ho it's free. John covered the two formal rose beds but was exhausted when he'd finished as it was 25 degrees by mid afternoon. There's still a bale and a half left!!
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home