Les poissons en France

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Quality Inspector



I've started to cement the ridge tiles and along and under all of the side tiles of the roof. I have to admit that I'm not finding 'pointing' very easy. So far, after two attempt over two days, I've done about 9 of the ridge tiles and down the side nearest the camera in the photo. I've now nearly achieved the right consistency of mix for the mortar, and I'm becoming more adept with the trowel. My biggest problem, however, is with the quality inspector. She insists that the mortar should be finished off like royal icing on a christmas cake. As it is I'm struggling to get it flat, let alone a mirror finish. I also feel that the type of finish that Sue wants won't be noticable once I've painted it with stain so that the cement doesn't hit you in the eye, and once the gutter is fitted infront of it. Our french neighbours were highly amused when they saw Sue trying to 'polish up' my mortaring with a cake slice. Now they know we're barmy!

This evening at about half past eight, we were out the front and we heard a great commotion in the pigeonnier. The chicks were really noisy. We went off to water the potager and, when we came back it was still very light. As I was watching and listening, the owl came out and was circling and even roosting outside of the pigeonnier. We saw the owl return and, as we think, deliver food to the chicks. But they must have been right in the entrance as the owl couldn't get in. We think that she must have handed the catch to one of the chicks and she was off again. We wonder how much longer it will be before the chicks try to fly.

ps Sue says that it was deafening during the night; the cat on the bed snoring, me breathing heavily, and the owl chicks screeching for food outside the window. I slept well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home