Les poissons en France

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Door? What Door?

I finally became fed up with waiting for the weather to dry up so, this morning, when I saw that it wasn't raining, I decided to press on with the barn door. I began taking down the stones to make the doorway wider but, as I pushed one fairly large stone, it fell and knocked over the props supporting the wood under the lintel! I guess I should be pleased that nothing else fell down!



With Sue's help we put the props up again ( belt and braces and all that!) and I removed the rest of the stones ready to allow me to start rebuilding the doorway. However, upon inspection I realised that there was an enormous stone at ground level which needed to have some of it 'shaved' off to give me sufficient room to drive the mower out through the door.






Having modified the stone, I was able to start rebuilding. It would have been nice to have reused the 'dressed' stones that form the doorway, but a) they're too large and heavy, and b) I would need to take a lot more stones out of the wall to make room for these dressed stones.





This 'old codger' can only manage small stones these days!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home