Les poissons en France

Monday, August 13, 2007

Haymaking

We suddenly realised that summer is slipping away and we (royal we) haven't cut the wildflower meadow yet. So, I set to this morning with the intention of strimming down the long grass.





We have a problem with our stimmer (or perhaps it's the operators), but if we stop, it is then impossible to start it again straight away. So, having experienced this problem again this morning, I went and got the ride-on mower to see if it was up to the task of 3 foot grass.





As you can see the answer is yes. By taking it slowly and gradually 'nibbling' at the edges of the long grass, I managed to cut it all.



All I have to do tomorrow is rake up all of the cut grass, (which may involve making a compost bin out of pallets), and then start cutting the 'mown' area. To maintain the meadow as a wildflower area, we have to remove all grass clipping so that they do not enrich the soil; wildflowers like poor soil. Fortunately, I set about putting the grass-collection system on the mower this afternoon. I say fortunately, as I had forgotten what was involved, and it took me about 2 hours. However, the whole thing is ready to roll!

Whilst all of this was happening, Sue was making plum jam. She's used all of the jars we've started to collect, and only used 1 of our 3 bags of plums. And I haven't shaken the tree today!!!

10.15pm Sue has just come in to tell me she's seen 3 owls outside flying from the window in the pigeonnier; possibly the Mum and the 2 chicks (chicks no longer). We feel that now that the youngsters are flying, the parent may be teaching them to hunt! It has been exciting to watch and listen for their progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home