Les poissons en France

Friday, October 29, 2010

Autumn

I suddenly realised yesterday that it is almost November. It wasn't obvious from the weather as I was outside working at gone 6 o'clock and I was sweating. I came in shortly afterwards to prepare dinner and then realised that the late Autumn sun looked spectacular on the Quercy Oaks which have suddenly changed colour. I grabbed the camera and set off round the garden. Not quite professional standard but I hope it gives you an idea of the scene which inspired me. Dinner was somewhat delayed!!







We are also aware of what time of year it is by the copious quantities of potted chrysanthemums which pop up everywhere in this week before All Saints Eve (Toussaint in France). The pavement opposite our village shop was covered with chrysanths earlier in the week but when we went to take a picture today there were only 5 left. So the remaining ones outside the shop in the next village will have to suffice.




We just couldn't imagine about 50 pot plants being left outside a shop in England for nearly a week. At Toussaint people put these pots of "mums" on the graves in the cemeteries.

I have had my eye on a piece of rotting tree root for over two years. It was in the hedge on the way to Gourdon and has recently reappeared as the Summer vegetation died down. As we had the trailer connected this morning John suggested that it was a good opportunity to "harvest" the root. Yes its "arty farty Susan " again.





















Not quite sure what the finished "sculpture" will turn out to be or indeed whether it will survive my inept attempts at turning it into a piece of art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home